519-504-1023
Connecting Puppies With People

Kybra Kennels Blog


 

6 Poisonous Plants for Dogs

 


   It may seem overdramatic, but many dog owners are surprised to find out just how many poisonous plants for dogs exist. Dogs are curious and will naturally sniff around your plants or flowers you bring home, but be careful. It is easy to accidentally bring a beautiful bouquet home that could harm your dog. Before you commit to new houseplants, flowers or garden additions, consider these plants and the damage they could do.

 

 

Aloe

Aloe makes your skin smooth and heals against cuts, but it won't do anything for your pet when ingested. Aloe Vera has saponins, which are toxic to both cats and dogs. Signs of toxicity include: depression, anorexia, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea and a change in the color of your dog's urine. If ingested, your dog will require the assistance of poison control or a veterinarian to get the toxins out of their body. 

 

 

Azaleas

Azaleas are a beautiful bush with brightly colored flowers, however they also have grayantoxin. Grayantoxin causes a wide range of symptoms when consumed by dogs, including: weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, coma, hypotension, central nervous system depression, cardiovascular collapse and even death. The toxin in this plant tends to cause skeletal, nerve and cardiac problems. Sign of toxicity include: excessive drooling, colic, depression, loss of coordination, paralysis and a weak heart rate.

 

 

Baby's Breath

Baby's Breath is a common filler in bouquets and other flower arrangements. Make sure when you’re given a bouquet of flowers or they appear in an arrangement around the house that they stay far out of your dog’s reach. The gyposenin in them will seriously upset your pup’s stomach, leading to vomiting and diarrhea.

 

Buttercups

Buttercups look cute and harmless because they're so tiny and bright, but that isn't the case. They contain protoanemonin, which is an irritant. Look for signs of ingestion like your four-legged companion becoming depression, suffering from anorexia, hyper-salivating, vomiting or having an unstable walk.

 

 

Daisies

Daisies look sweet and innocent, but they're far from being so when your pet swallows them. They contain lactones, pyrethrins, sesquiterpene and possibly other irritants. Your pet will have an increase in saliva production and may potentially suffer from incoordination. You may notice a dermatological reaction, vomiting or diarrhea.

 

 

Mums

Mums are pretty but poisonous due to the pyrethrins, lactones and sesquiterpene in them. Symptoms of ingestion vary from pet to pet, but the most common are hyper-salivation, dermatitis, diarrhea and vomiting.

 

 


   Make sure you know which plants are poisonous to dogs before bringing a pet home to avoid sickness or even a fatality. Make sure if you do have any plants that you keep them in a location where you pet can't reach them. And always teach him or her not to go near the plants. When outside, monitor your furry friend carefully and always look for symptoms of toxicity.

 

   For more information on poisonous plants for dogs, and how to keep yours safe, contact us today at Kybra Kennels!

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest LinkedIn Digg Reddit StumbleUpon Email